Monday 18 June 2012

Playing with plastic

 

A new process I've learned this year that has featured quite heavily in my recent work is plastic coating.  It involves creating metal assemblages/structures, heating them and then dropping them in amongst very fine plastic powders.  The above photos are some of the early test pieces I did and I'm really pleased with the overall crusty effect, especially on the sieve mesh (right) which has still managed to retain the detail of the fine weave.  

 


After a lot of experimenting with different metals, assemblages and colour mixing, I started constructing them together and eventually ended with this piece pictured above.  This is one of my main neck pieces which wraps around the neck and rests down over the shoulders.  The plastic coating process lends itself very well to this design because it still allows for flexibility without bits falling off!

No comments:

Post a Comment